Monday, January 23, 2006

White pointer frenzy goes on...

It seems there are more sharks around WA now than you can poke a stick at (possibly a speargun with a large detonator attached?).

Yes, while three great whites were scaring the living bejeezus out of the Margaret River folk - someone's obviously just pulled in a big harvest of hydro - I spotted two white tipped reef sharks doing laps around my very own bathtub. Got the kids out in the nick of time, but not before I lost two rubber ducks in the process...

The only answer for all this shark madness is that there must be some sort of conference being hosted over here - it would explain why the vast majority of our finned friends spotted of late have been wearing poorly fitted leisure suits and cheap sunglasses. If they had feet, no doubt they'd be wearing white shoes as well.

On the serious side, haven't sharks always been around?

I remember on a trip to Esperance seeing two Tiger sharks in a feeding frenzy while two Danish tourists flapped about in the water right next to them shouting out, 'look at the dolphins!'. When we advised them of their minor mix up, they were out of the water so fast that they actually swam half way up the beach into the sand dunes.

The very next day I was sitting on the main beach and saw the most enormous dorsal fin rise out of the water in front of me, cruise along for 5 - 10 metres and then slowly sink back under the surface. I decided to swim in the hotel pool for the remainder of my holiday...

Got a shark story to share?

2 comments:

ziggystardust73 said...

um, are you serious about that Danish tourist story??

I grew up in Perth (literally on the coast) and went swimming *every* day after school...

I never once thought about the sharkies. oops.

Cookster said...

Zig, I most certainly am - although I'm not sure if they were Danish, just that their accents had a lot of 'donga-donga-donga' sounding words, which could make them Swedish I guess.

I too grew up on the coast in Scarborough and swam every day, but when Jaws came out... life wasn't quite the same. See my former post:

http://theperthfiles.blogspot.com/2006/01/sharks-are-everywhere.html